What You Need To Know About Minors and Passports For Traveling Abroad

Taking your children on an international trip can be an exciting and rewarding experience, but it’s important to know the rules and regulations before you travel. Whether you’re a custodial parent or traveling with both parents, passport requirements for children must be met for them to travel internationally. Let’s look at what you need to know to ensure your trip goes smoothly. 

Passport Requirements for Children

For any child under the age of 16 to travel abroad, they must have their own passport. That includes any adopted children, stepchildren, and babies who will be joining the family on the trip. All minors must have parental consent when applying for a passport (this can also include adoptive or legal guardians). It is also crucial that both parents be present when applying for a minor’s passport (unless one parent has sole custody or if one parent is deceased provide documentation). Passports must be valid for at least 6 months after the date of entry into the country you are visiting. It is also recommended that each child’s passport has 2-4 blank pages for visa stamps or entry/exit stamps. You’ll need two identical passport photographs taken within six months of your application date and proof of U.S. citizenship, such as a birth certificate or naturalization certificate. Additionally, if your child was born outside of the U.S., you may need to provide additional documents, such as an original birth certificate or other evidence of foreign birth registration. More detailed information about applying for a child’s passport can be found on the U.S. Department of State website. 

Travel With Kids as Custodial Parent

If you are a custodial parent, it is still possible to obtain a passport for your child without the other parent’s permission. In these cases, you will need to provide evidence of sole custody, such as court orders or death certificates of parents if applicable. If the other parent is deceased, you will not require their signature to apply for a minor’s passport. It’s also important to note that if only one parent is traveling with the child, they must bring along a notarized statement from both parents giving permission for the child’s international travel—or additional documentation from authorities allowing them to take the child out of the country—in case questions arise at customs or immigration control upon arrival in another country or upon re-entry into the United States.

With proper preparation and knowledge of all necessary documents and requirements, international travel with kids can be an exciting adventure! Make sure you have all required documents such as passports ready before departure day so that everything goes smoothly when crossing international borders. Don’t forget that even if only one parent is traveling with their children, they may need additional documentation from authorities allowing them to take their child out of the country—just in case questions arise at customs or immigration control upon arrival in another country or upon re-entry into the United States! With this information under your belt, happy travels!

What You Need To Know About Minors and Passports For International Travel FAQs


What documents are required for a child to obtain a U.S. passport?

In order to apply for a US passport for children under the age of 16, you’ll need to bring the following documents:

Child’s Birth Certificate

You will need an original or certified copy of your child’s birth certificate as proof of U.S. citizenship when applying for a passport. If the child was birth abroad(outside the US), you will need to provide evidence of foreign birth registration. These documents are required by law and no substitute will be accepted in its place.

Child’s Passport Photo Requirements

The child needs two identical color photos taken within 6 months of submitting the application to apply for a U.S. passport.

Parental Identification

Both parents/legal guardians must be present with the child and provide valid government-issued photo identification such as a driver’s license or passport when presenting the child’s passport application packet at the time of submission to any valid Passport Acceptance Facility (PAF).

In addition, two forms must be completed: Form DS-11 (Application For A U.S Passport) which must be done in person at any designated acceptance facility; and Form DS-3053 (Statement Of Consent Or Special Circumstances). This form requires both parents/legal guardians to consent with their signatures before processing can take place. If only one parent is present at application time that parent must provide documentation proving sole custody and has legal authority over the child’s travel decisions. In certain cases, additional documentation may also be requested such as a death certificate, final divorce decree, or court orders showing sole custody if one parent has full custody rights over their child’s passport application.

If either parent/legal guardian is not able to appear in person with their child at the time of application due to death, separation, divorce, military deployment, etc., there are special rules that apply to require notarized consent documents showing permission from that missing parent/guardian prior to submission of the child’s passport application packet. You can obtain more information regarding required parental consent forms through the US Department of State’s website under “Children Under 16”. 

How much will my child’s passport application cost?

New Passport Fees

If you are applying for your child to get a new passport, the fee is $80 plus an additional $35 execution fee. In addition, if you need the passport expedited there is an extra fee of $60, bringing the total cost up to $175.

Passport Renewal Fees

If you are applying to renew your child’s passport then there is no execution fee and only the standard renewal fee of $75 applies. If you need to have it expedited then an additional fee of $60 applies as well. The total cost in this case would be $135 if you choose to do expedited processing.

Optional Fees

You can also purchase optional services when submitting your application such as getting proof of citizenship through a certified copy ($50). You can also add stock or custom-designed Passport photos at designated acceptance agencies for an additional charge (around 10-15 USD per photo).

Payment of Passport Fees

It should be noted that all fees must be paid in US dollars and must accompany each application submitted for processing by either check or money order made payable to “U.S Department of State”. Cash, credit cards, and personal checks are not accepted by U.S Government offices abroad nor may they be used at any domestic passport agency or private acceptance facility unless specifically authorized otherwise in writing by department officials here in Washington Bureaus/Consular Affairs Offices.

How long does it take to get a U.S. passport?

The timeframe for obtaining a U.S. passport varies depending on your current situation and the route you choose to follow in order to obtain one. Generally, you can receive a passport within 2-4 weeks if you choose the standard processing option. The fastest way to get a passport is by applying through the expedited services available at an acceptance facility or regional agency, which will cost more but can result in receiving your passport within 8 business days.

If you are renewing an expired or expiring soon US passport, then the process is faster as it just requires completing some forms such as Form DS-82 (U.S Passport Renewal App
lication) and submitting that with two photographs and your most recent USPassport book/card along with applicable fees via mail; this process typically takes 4-6 weeks for issuance of new travel document after submission of required documents by USPS priority mail (2 days delivery). In addition, if an individual needs their renewed passport urgently then they may request faster service when applying from certain acceptance agencies or regional offices so that he/she could have it within 3 weeks time frame instead of the 4-6 weeks time frame using regular service.

For those who are applying for their very first U.S Passport, additional steps must be taken such as providing proof of citizenship as well as having identity verified; this usually takes about 6 -8 weeks via standard processing unless requested otherwise by local agency office where photos have to be provided along with completed application form DS11, primary citizen evidence, photo identification and other vital documents like Social security card, etc. And if the applicant opts to apply through the expedited service option, then the passport should arrive within 8 business days if everything goes smoothly while submitting the application online /offline. Furthermore, there are few special situations based on urgency where FederalCourts even issue same-day passports under exceptional cases upon approval only.

What’s the difference between passport books and passport cards?

A passport book and card both serve the same purpose – they are documents that prove your identity and citizenship when you travel outside of your home country. However, there are some important differences between them.

The most obvious difference is size: A passport book is a booklet-style document typically measuring 3.5 x 4.25 inches, while a passport card is about the size of a credit card (3.370 x 2.125 inches). A passport card can only be used for certain types of U.S.-to-Canada or U.S.-to-Mexico trips by land or sea, but not air travel; a passport book can be used for any type of international travel but must accompany you on all flights into the United States regardless of where you’re traveling from internationally.

Other differences

Passport cards contain RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) technology which allows travelers to quickly pass through designated lanes at border crossings; this technology does not exist in standard passports books

Passport cards cost significantly less than standard books ($30 versus $145); however, this price doesn’t include processing fees associated with obtaining either version of identification since they are federal documents that require an application process.

The books come with 32 pages whereas the cards have no pages, as all pertinent information such as name, photo, signature etcetera is printed on their front side within a low-resolution image embedded with smart chip technology for maximum security.

What should I do, if I lose my passport abroad?

If you lose your passport while abroad, the first thing you should do is contact the nearest embassy or consulate of your home country. They will be able to assist you in getting a replacement passport. In the meantime, they may be able to provide you with a temporary travel document that will allow you to return home. For further details go to the state department’s website.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top

Stay Connected

Get exclusive content and an inside look at my style, travels, and everyday moments with Just Jeannie.